To receive a free Alabama Photo Voter ID card, you must complete the application and meet the following requirements:
- Provide a photo ID document or a non-photo identity document can be used if it contains your full legal name and date of birth
- Must be a registered voter in Alabama
- Must not have any valid form of photo ID accepted at the polls (see list above)
To download the application for a free photo voter ID, click here.
Examples of Documents that can be used to obtain a free Alabama Photo Voter ID card
All must contain full legal name and date of birth
- Birth Certificate *
- Hospital or nursing home record
- Marriage Record *
- State or Federal Census Record
- Military Record
- Medicare or Medicaid document
- Social Security Administration Document
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Official school record or transcript
* The Secretary of State’s office has entered an agreement with the Alabama Department of Public Health whereby a free birth or marriage certificate will be provided to the processing or issuing agent when a voter needs one of these documents in order to obtain a free Alabama photo voter ID card.
Who is not required to provide ID prior to voting?
A voter who is entitled to vote by absentee ballot pursuant to the Voting Accessibility for the Elderly and Handicapped Act or any other federal law shall not be required to produce identification when voting by absentee ballot.
An individual eligible to vote by absentee ballot pursuant to the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) is not required to provide ID prior to voting.