FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MONTGOMERY, April 18, 2017 –Alabama Governor Kay Ivey issued a proclamation today moving the date of the special election for the U.S. Senate seat vacated by U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions. Dates important to the process can be found below.
- Election Dates:
- Primary: Tuesday, August 15,2017
- Run-off: Tuesday, September 26, 2017
- General: Tuesday, December 12, 2017
- Qualifying with a Major Political Party:
- Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
- Qualifying as a Minor Party or Independent Candidate:
- Deadline: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 by 5:00 p.m. (Alabama State Capitol 600 Dexter Avenue room E-204 Montgomery, AL 36104)
- 35,412 signatures obtained from qualified electors (registered voters)
- All expenses from this election will be paid for by the State of Alabama’s General Fund
Please note that Campaign Finance Filings for federal office are not retained by the office of Secretary of State and can be found on the FEC’s webpage.
If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact Secretary John Merrill’s Office at (334) 220-4757 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.